Friday, March 12, 2010

Madura Varutha Curry

Of late, I'm showing an interest in tossing out new dishes. I visit my fellow foodie blogs and strangle them with my over extra dose of my love. Ask them cooking DOUBTS. These poor girls, do come back.. They do.. to clarify my doubts.


But seriously I read line by line of their recipe and alas..tried out a couple of them. Paniyaram(sweet and spicy one) and biryani.


Paniayaram came out well, aiding as a crushing stone coz of poor fermentation. Blame it on the fermentation, they didnt tell me that I had to keep the mixture, to set out for 8 hours.


Biryani was scrumptilicious. H and the old lady in my house(my house keeper, an old lady of 75) just polished the plate. Tried out a new version reading from different ones- Dum Biryani, different varities of mutton biryani. Added a mix of green chillies, garam masala and chilly powder. The end product was really thundering.

It relieved ailing stomach.

Helps to wake up early. Both H and that old lady woke up without an alarm around 5 and sprinted across to the rest room. I had never seen H run so fast in his life. That old lady too...


What you have been yearning for is finally here........

I decided to give something in return for all the love bestowed on me. I'm going to pass on a really, really authentic recipe.

Handed down by women from one generation to another in H's side. From the Kitchens of Madurai ('those black people’ like in Chetan Bhagat's book-Two States of my Marriage). They say that the people of Madurai are violent, angry but affectionate ones(pasakaranga pasanga-meaning affectionate men)

A must in all kitchen: a small plate and a tea spoon to taste as you cook...

Pressure cook mutton with little ready made masala, onion, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste. By the way, Rush to your nearest reliance store and buy & try out Mother's recipie masala for chicken. Priced around 35 bucks, but Absolutely Heavenly.

No more attention deficit. Let me concentrate on the recipe. Splutter some cumin and red chillies in gingely oil in a kadai. Add the cooked mutton.

That sweet husband of mine, doesnt allow me to cook in peace. He has the feel that only his aunts and grandma(aiyama in tamil) can cook it better. He comes in with his folded lungi, takes the ladle from me.. With mopped brows and concentration spills out a generous amount of oil and fries it more.


The Thumb Rule is to add bits/pieces of red chillies, gingely oil for every stir along with a dash of cumin seeds. As he cooks, I look on patiently like a hungry dog. Now and then, he places a small meat on that plate. Eagerly we take turns to taste.


After an hour of stiring & oiling(with cumin & red chili), you get a condensed and tasty madurai curry. Condensed as you would be savouring each step of yours...

Now the secret is out... that's a real one.. I swear............try it out girls.........

17 comments:

Gita said...

I am still laughing di...just cannot stop it...poor Hari :)

Jagruti said...

After long time we have post from you....lovely

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Devsena
simply superb !! I was waiting eagerly for the post..I read every line and was trying to remember equivallent incidents when I took the lead or my wife in the kitchen.
Thats all about famous Madurai mutton ? Must try here in Milan itself. Today I went to a Indian resturant and ordered a Chetinad mutton ...it was Ok , but that stupid Kasauri methi smell in a Chetinad dish was horrifying ..I called the bangladeshi (!!!!) chef and gave a piece of my mind and wanted to know what Chetinad was ...
The reply "It is a type of spice mix used to cook the dish...imagine ...I had almost laughed out the mutton piece out off my mouth...The dish was tasty in its own right though
have a nice week ahead

Prabodh said...

Ohhhh!!!ROFL ...nice post. :D

Viki's Kitchen said...

Hi..hi..hi..I started rolling on the floor and laughed on reading yours. Thank God , its after a very long time I am doing this...may be my downstairs neighbor could have thought weird about me:) Nice to know of your cooking skills. One day I will come over to taste that varutha curry. Oh , dear..what happened to paniyaram. Yes, you need to ferment it. I use left over dosa batter with some baking soda. Try it and tell me. Hope we won't need more crushing stones:) I hate that book by Chetan..how dare he:) Nothing can beat the mutton cooked in Madurai style.Veetukararum neegalum senthu samachi kalakkuringa poley? Enjoy:)

sangeeta said...

Great humor........but what is that madurai curry with a mother's recipe paste??

The cooking procedure i loved n the thumb rule...reminded me of the many episodes of the two of us together in the kitchen , the only different the he never holds a ladle ( his hands are incredibly shaky whenever he holds a ladle or a knife ..ha ha )

i know i can strangulate you with all the queries about madurai cuisine now...:)

About the book by Chetan Bhagat , he has made digs both at the Madrasis n Pujabis alike ...i loved that humor and especially because it was like reading our own story .....almost all the intercast love marriages face these scorn from the relatives n parents ....still in this age..

Kiran said...

He he, Devsena. Thank heavens, I am a veggi :D

FoodLovers said...

lovely post ...

sangeeta said...

Kuttu is not horse gram or ragi.
It is called buckwheat and i shall post a picture of the whole grains as soon as i get some in the market here.

Ammu Madhu said...

:) nice post.

Usha said...

LOL funny post ! I just sent you an email with the answer to your question, hope you got it :-)

Baskaran said...

Await to see ur Biriyani Recipe
Baskaran

Swaram said...

Ha ha ha ...missed this post. Some probs with internet :(

This ws howlarious :P :P
So, when cn I drop in for dinner ;)

Viji said...

ha ha... omg! poor H... i enjoyed this post of yours.. after day long hurdles, your post is refreshing to read...truly wish to try it out but mutton and chicken are fortunate.next time try out a veg recipe, I want to see Sure running to the rest room too... naan pathadhae illa pa :D

sangeeta said...

he he...Davasena you caught it...
just keep the strips in a sieve and place in the top shelf of your fridge and forget about it......after a week or may be more.....it will get dehydrated , take out whenever you have time and microwave for a couple of minutes , grind immediately to make powder........i do this to dry the mint and methi leaves...

you are still stuck on this post Devasena....why??
and reading my previous comment i think you might like to read this...
http://healthfooddesivideshi.blogspot.com/2010/04/buckwheat-our-indiginous-desi.html

sangeeta said...

answering another querry of your's....
pearl barley is the hulled barley grains , i made a soup with it today n will post the pictures of pearl barley with it.
and enough of this madura varutha curry............i want something else to eat....:)

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Devsena
Whenever I am in a great mood , I read this..I think this is one article (not from recipe point of view but the seer writing style) I have read the most.
I am gearing up to try it again more seriously. And have understood the process quite well. But can you give me some idea of quantities? Like for 500 gram meat how much ingredients to be used , particularly cumin in installment! Red chili powder I will add hell of a lot, no problem. In any case as long as you are not eating and find out the deficiency, it will be great...LOL..... I have the uniform too, the Lungi..( even if my wife never approved lungi, but I wear it and inherited from my father and father in law too....
Have a nice day